Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Checking your Brand


At The Tall Poppy and Clever Streak we are starting to do some work on our look and our brand. We think it is time for a makeover.

That started me looking for information on branding and I found these quotes which I love. Both of these gave me food for thought so I want to share them with you. They came from All About Branding. This post isn't an expose on branding but it is intended to give you some food for thought.

"What"s a brand? A singular idea or concept that you own inside the mind of the prospect." - Al Ries

Isn't that a great definition? Whatever we look like or display our brand comes down to whatever lands in the mind of the 'prospect'. We might be working on branding ourselves as style icons but if the consumer is buying on price or colour alone then our brand isn't what we think it is.

"I am irresistible, I say, as I put on my designer fragrance. I am a merchant banker, I say, as I climb out of my BMW. I am a juvenile lout, I say, as I pour an extra strong lager, I am handsome, I say, as I put on my Levi jeans" - John Kay

The brands that stick are the ones that tap into our human needs and desires. I may not be a merchant banker but driving my BMW makes me look and feel like one. The challenge for business is to find what they want to tap into and figure out a way to do it. It takes more than a logo or great business name to cause an emotional or mental reaction in your potential customer base.

It is summed up nicely in this last quote.

"A brand that captures your mind gains behavior. A brand that captures your heart gains commitment.' - Scott Talgo, Brand Strategist