Monday, March 31, 2008

My Favourite Bear.





I knew that it had to happen one day, but suddenly my son has grown up and away from the bear who has been his soulmate for years. Wherever we went, Frosty came too. I even had to select a handbag for its suitability as a Frosty carrier.

We are all bear mad here, including my daughter. Neither of us have ever cared for dolls. They just don't cuddle back as well as a teddy does.

Over at Tonic Gifts blog I read a little about the history of the Teddy Bear.

"In November 1902 Theodore, whose nickname was Teddy, participated in a bear hunt. The hunt was a failure and the hunt guide supposedly tracked and injured a bear for the President to kill. Theodore refused to kill a helpless target and the incident was documented in a cartoon and became “Teddy’s Bear”.

Over time all bears came to be known as teddy.

Technically speaking, Frosty is a Beanie Kid, but no bear was ever loved more than this one. Happily for me, Frosty now has a permanent home at my desk with me.

11 comments:

Elena said...

This bear is a cutie. There's something about bears that makes you want to cuddle them as soon as you see them. This may prompt me to show off a couple bears I 'recreated' a few year back. Ciao for now, Elena :)

Lady Language said...

A touching story :) My son takes his stuffed dog Max everywhere, and my daughter favors cats. Surprisingly, my kids were never attached to teddy bears

Anne said...

It is a major moment in my life. This bear has been everything to my son. Frosty didn't always look like that - he had major plastic surgery to his face after the dog got him. I don't know who cried more - me or my son!

Thanks for the visit.

Anne said...

Elena, that would be wonderful I will keep an eye on your blog!

Stacey said...

Oh you've bought tears to my eyes! My boys love their respective teddies with a passion and it breaks my heart to think that one day they will grow out of them.
I love to look at them sleeping with Ted or Peta tucked under their little arms.
My heart melts just thinking about it.

Anne said...

Stacey, i know how you feel. I have to admit that, at 12, it had to come soon. My son had been hiding Frosty away during the outings in the last year or so. Nice to know he was there, but not to be seen with in public! I am lucky that I have a son with such a soft heart that it lasted so long. Good luck with your boys.

Michelle said...

He is definitely well loved and one day he may want him back. I had a teddy which I adored as a young girl and my brother also took a shine to him. Needless to say when I left home I wasn't allowed to take him and I haven't seen him since and that was over 20 years ago!

Karen said...

Anne, I think it is very sad that your son thinks he has outgrown his little bear.

My eldest son is 18 and he still has his 'Ted' sitting on his bed, and sometimes I go in to wake him up and he's got Ted under his arm, clutching him close.

He isn't even embarrased when he has mates over, Ted doesn't get put away (and he's a 6'4" rugby-playing guy, no wimp here!).

So hang in there, I think maybe this is just a phase... your son may not cart bear around anymore, but chances are bear may move from your desk sometime soon :)

Anne said...

As long as Frosty is safe we will both be happy.

teddy and pencil said...

At least Frosty is with you now... not abandoned. Unfortnately, there are so many teddy bears facing the sad destiny of abandonment when the child grows up...

Anne said...

Not in our house, teddy and pencil. My mother still has hers, my husband and I have ours and my other children won't be parted from theirs. This is a Safe House for teddies.