Monday, January 28, 2008

The Language of Flowers.


The Tall Poppy is so named because we encourage people to make the most of themselves in whatever way they can. To be a tall poppy is a wonderful experience, no matter how long it lasts.
The poppy is a lovely flower and has come to mean remembrance, particularly the Flanders poppy. Did you know that it also can mean oblivion and eternal sleep? For many years, especially in the Victorian age, flowers each held a particular meaning. The red poppy, for example, can mean pleasure or consolation.

One of my favourite flowers is the divinely scented gardenia. It represents secret love. The meaning seems an appropriate match for the purity of the petals.

What flowers would it not be good to receive? Geraniums are associated with silliness, orange lilies with dislike and cyclamen with goodbye. Can you imagine the confusion that a mixed bouquet might have caused in the time of Jane Austen?

If you would like to know more about the language of flowers then drop over at My New Shiny Shoes where Michelle will tell you of a competition running during February and the prize is a beautiful book. It will tell you everything you want to know about interpreting flowers.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

The gardenia has such a lovely fragrance about it. Thanks for mentioning our compeition and I hope you entered yourself. :-)

Anne said...

Perhaps there is method in my madness, Michelle. Looking into the meaning of flowers have given me some ideas so expect an entry!

Lady Language said...

I love the gardenia and it's interesting that the cyclamen signifies goodbye - my daughter picked this to give to her teacher at the end of the school year.

Anne said...

Hi Lady, and thanks for dropping by. I love your blog.

Cyclamen have always seemed to me to be a sad plant. I think it is something to do with the way it dies off before coming again. To me it makes snese that is represents goodbye. Your daughter chose well.

Dom said...

Thanks for the wonderful work you do here. Flowers remind me of my mother and her garden.

Claudia said...

The only perfume I wear is Kai. If you love gardenias and wear perfume I highly recommend it. It is subtle and romantic, not too heady, but enough that when you walk by someone you see them look up with that, "Hmmmm...that was nice." expression on their face. Gardenias are amazing. Now if I could just keep one damn plant alive in my house....we'd be all set.

Signed,
The Plant Killer. ;)

Anne said...

Thanks for dropping by Claudia. Nice to know that there is another plant killer in the house. ;-)