Thursday, November 01, 2007

I Want Some Pasta!

I am the only one in the house who likes pasta other than bolognese or lasagna. Sometimes I just want something different in a pasta sauce - something rich and creamy, or something full of fresh vegetables.

I was visiting Tonic Gifts today and came across a wonderful recipe for Smoked Chicken, Brie and Cranberry Nests that makes my tastebuds stand at attention! That made me determined to have some sort of simple pasta for dinner tonight and this is what I decided to cook:

Chicken with Ricotta and Spinach Agnolotti. (serves 4)

1 tblsp olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 cup chicken stock
375g chicken breast fillet, trimmed and sliced diagonally
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 cup mint leaves
625g ricotta and spinach agnolotti pasta

1. Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes or until onion is soft.
2.Add stock, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add chicken and cook for 4 minutes. Add peas and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mint. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water as per packet instructions. drain pasta reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Return pasta and cooking water to saucepan. Add chicken mixture. Toss over a low heat until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
(recipe: Super Food Ideas magazine)

5 comments:

WalksFarWoman said...

That looks a delicious recipe Anne - thanks! I'm the opposite to you, I'm the only one in the house that likes lasagne - it's difficult to make it for one!

Michelle said...

Sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I have found some great vegetarian chicken substitutes so this will work great with those.

Anne said...

As a vegetarian what would you substitute the chicken with Michelle?

Anne said...

Walksfarwoman, I love lasagna too. I just wish they would be a little more experimental with pasta. It is so versatile!

And no, I can't imagine making lasagna for one. It is such a family/party dish isn't it?

Michelle said...

Vegie delight soy fillets from Sanitarium - http://www.vegiedelights.com.au/products/fillets/vegie-delights-tender-soy-fillets-original.aspx