Thursday, August 16, 2007


When did we grow up?

I have just visited A Modern Goddess Online and read a lovely post about a young girl and her mother who played in the rain. (The story is very touching, so go and read it).

The story made me think about all the things we used to do as children that we wouldn't dream of doing now. When did we grow up? Why did we grow up to be so 'repressed'? What is stopping us from having fun the way we did as kids? Have we just forgotten how to have pure, innocent fun?

Do you remember playing under the sprinklers? Sliding in and out on the wet grass and falling with your friends in a tangle of arms and legs! Just thinking of it makes my skin feel warm, and my spirit more light hearted.

Do you remember riding your bike down the hill? The wind rushing past your ears with a whistle and your hair streaming out behind you? I can still feel the sheer exhilaration of it all.

Did you ever get to bottle feed an orphaned lamb? They suck so hard it almost pulls the bottle out of your hand, and they make little squelchy sounds as they build up froth at their mouths. Their fleece is so tight and a little greasy but it is irresistible to touch.

Why don't we play in the rain anymore? Why don't we let ourselves out of the little cages we wear and just go out and play?

7 comments:

Fiona - Moment by Moment said...

I'm not sure why we grow up it is a lot of fun doing all that but we seem to be in a hurry to do all the other things in life. I can sometimes revisit the childhood stage as my children are only 6 and 19months so if I get down on their level and act like them we have heaps of fun and you feel relaxed too.

Not sure if I am support to tell you in this post but I am tagging you I would like to know 8 things about you.

leendaluu said...

I had twin girls at the age of 42 and that rescued me from becoming 'mature'. It is delightful to squish our toes through mud in the yard, sail leaf boats in the spring....I only just have to let myself go and be Mommy instead of Mother...

Nice blog...

Nicole said...

Yes, when did we stop playing like children? I know it was when I was told to "grow up" or "act like my age".

Yesterday I acted like a child... I got caught in the rain again and I discovered that my umbrella had holes in it so I was getting rained on even with my umbrella up, then it turned inside out.

By this time my feet were soaked, and I was slipping out of my leather thongs.

Rather than get upset, I put my umbrella down, took my thongs off and walked the rest of the way home in the rain, with bare feet. I did have a chuckle to myself a couple of times... I must have been a sight and do you know what, I loved every minute of it.

Lavender said...

Just found you thru Aussie Top 100 list, I especially like your emphasis on confidence - onya!

Yes! There should be a middle ground somewhere between our roles as 'responsible adult', and the 'carefree child'? Well, we know what to do right? Im getting back on my bike right now - Cheers!

Jaycee said...

We used to have orphan lambs. I loved going out and feeding them in the morning and was sad when they were old enough to look after themselves. Although we had one who thought she was a dog and was scared of other sheep.

Anne said...

jaycee, we had the orphans too. One of ours thought she was a horse and did everything the horse did. They had to share a paddock together because the other sheep avoided her!

lilaussieprem said...

I remember playing under the sprinkler as a kid! I do wonder at times whether my son will ever experience the fun in doing this on a hot summery day. I sometimes feel that i am too mature and forget at times that life isn't always so straight! I guess that is part of the joy of kids, they bring the child back out of you. :)