Thursday, July 05, 2007

New Financial Year, New Plan.


July is already on us, and by now all those lovely tax returns should be completed, or at least well underway. Now what? Is it back to business as usual? Just keep on keeping on?

This is the start of a whole new year, so what a great time to review where you have come from over the last 12 months and do some careful planning for the future. Your tax and stock figures will tell you how your business is progressing, and your heart or intuition will be telling you if you need to make changes.

I love the start of the year. It is like being given a brand new, clean and blank book to write in. I can turn that book into whatever I choose. It is the same with the new year. It is still a blank space upon which I can create my future. Time to do some planning, I believe.

Now, I know that the idea of business planning doesn't appeal to some people, but I like to make conscious choices for my life and my business, rather than reactionary ones. I want to plan ahead, not just react to the events that pop up.

This is the time I like to look ahead, at least till Christmas. This is the time I look around and see what is working and what is not. This is the time I make sure that my family is not missing out because of the time spent working.

I believe that this is the time to set balances, and start to work with them. I find that if I don't do this I can be stuck in a rut. I will still be doing the things I don't want to do and which won't build my business, simply because I haven't planned a way around it. I haven't assessed what will benefit me and what will just use up my time. I only have a certain number of hours per week that I want to use in business so I need to know that each hour is spent in the most productive way it can be.

Only you know what your balances are, so only you can set them up. Do it now, before the year escapes again.

5 comments:

Megan Bayliss said...

Happy New Year to you Tall Poppy.
I accept your challange of creating balance - wait till I tell my husband that - he will laugh!!!
I want to buy a house and I dislike it when the bank account tells me, "not yet."
Thanks for submitting to the All for Women Carnival. It runs every Monday.

Michelle said...

Completed! I haven't even started yet!!

WalksFarWoman said...

Great thinking Tall Poppy, it's a novel idea to split the year up like that and make your goals more attainable. Here in the UK our tax year ends 5th April so we've just recovered from the festivities and spring cleaning when we need to get our financial house in order yet there's really nothing to stop us earmarking July for an assessment of the next six month period - thanks for the idea!

Anne said...

It doesn't matter when you do it as long as it is done. I am a big believer in planning.

Nicole said...

I too am a big beliver in planning. I've been through a planning process as our finanical year began in April. Best of luck with this new financial year Ann.