Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Color Picker Tool

As you all know I love playing with colour. At the moment I am struggling with the task of adding colour to a very basic website and it is driving me crazy! I know nothing about CSS and HTML. It is like beating my head against a brick wall every time I try to change something, and that includes changing the colour.

AAAHHHH!

One tool that has helped me is my recent discovery called the Color Picker.

The big difficulty with changing my website is finding the perfect colour and then the correct code to match. I have used photoshop which is fine but it takes a while to load. I also use Colour Lovers which has a place for creating colours and that will give you the code. Both of those methods work well but they do take time to do. If you can't get the colour right the first time you could be there for a while. Enter the Colour Picker. It is a handy little tool that saves me lots of time. I can easily locate the perfect colour and get the code. The colours are stored in a library so that I can access them and co-ordinate them.

The features of this tool:

Improved Interface- new feature
Hue, Saturation, Brightness sliders for modifying the colors in Color Library - new feature
Now it picks colors in HTML, RGB, Delphi, C++, VB codes - new feature
Support for ACT and ACO formats for exporting colors to Adobe Photoshop - new feature
Automatically add colors from Floating Menu to Color Library - new feature
Color Library to store your frequently used colors
Right Click of the mouse will exit the program
Intuitive Tooltips that will show up to help new users in the beginning, this feature can be turned on and off
Easy to use & user friendly
Small in size and loads fast
Just click or use hotkey to capture colors
Outputs in either HTML or RGB color codes
Has option to include or not to include "#" in the HTML codes
Hotkeys can be set for program activation/deactivation, capturing color and displaying floating menu
Can store last 10 captured colors in the memory - this saves time from capturing the same color again
Floating menu displays the last 10 captured colors and stays on top of all other windows
Floating menu is draggable for easy positioning
It also shows the current color and last captured color codes near to your mouse - this makes it easy to check and compare the colors on the fly.
Zoom window makes it easy to select the most detailed colors

If you want more information about this tool (or purchasing details) visit http://www.adesdesign.net/ or visit the creators blog.

1 comment:

Jen / domestika said...

I just love this kind of tool - for website use or just for playing around with colors. Fun! Thanks for the tips, Anne!