Thursday, March 08, 2007

Struggling for that Tall Poppy recipe?

Whenever we have gatherings where I need to bring a salad I always end up being the one to bring the boring green salad. Somedays I just need a lift. How can I be a Tall Poppy when I am carrying a tray of dull but necessary lettuce?

One day while 'surfing the net' I came across this recipe. I decided to give it a go as it was not a salad that I had seen before. Guess what? I had found a winner! Now I have what is known as "Annes' Special" and, as we all know, any decent Poppy needs something special to be known by!

Here it is:

Strawberry and Spinach Salad.



INGREDIENTS


2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tbspn white sugar (according to taste)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 pack fresh baby spinach - rinsed, dried
1 punnet strawberries - cleaned, hulled and sliced (keep some spares handy, though!)
1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered


DIRECTIONS

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour.

In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

That is it. Your future fame hangs on 2 main ingredients. How cleverly simple it is.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

What a combination! I really hadn't thought about putting spinach and strawberries together.

Anne said...

It is a great combination, and the balsamic ties it together. Tasty, easy and great looking!

Chris Owen said...

For someone who describes herself as the carrier of plain lettuce, that's a delicious-sounding and highly attention-seeking salad. Can't wait to try it.
Oops I'm dribbling!!

Anne said...

Hahaha. It has certainly changed my salad carrier status. :-)

Kitty said...

Oooh yummo - I'm printing this one out! I have used strawbs in a salad before, but this looks like a winner.

Nicole said...

I love this recipe, a friend has made it in the past and it's delicious!