Monday, March 19, 2007

"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart." Erma Bombeck


Can you imagine skipping dessert if you knew you were eating your last meal? The last taste of chocolate mousse or pavlova? Your weight would no longer be an issue, nor would you care what other people thought of you or your actions. You would be free of so many restrictions.

I think we need to apply some of this thinking to our daily lives. Do you ever get to the end of the day and think "I should have done that" or "Tomorrow I will read that book"? How many of the pressures and boundaries we live by are self imposed? Do as many people watch you as you think? Who will notice if you don't sweep the kitchen floor today? They WILL notice when you turn up looking wonderful with your new haircut. They WILL notice when you submit the report that you didn't think you were capable of. They WILL notice when you start the blog you've been too scared to try.

I know that life is so fast that sometimes you have made your decisions before you realise it, probably based on a lifetime of habit. I know, because I live this way too. This week, let's all live as if there is no tomorrow. Spend time with the people who really matter to you. Spend time on yourself. Eat that ice-cream that you really want. Try doing something you have never done before. Then notice how you feel as you do it - that rush of exhilaration, that feeling of light-heartedness, the sense of freedom. Let's try to live all our lives rather than just parts of it. Bring that feeling into your everyday life.

So move over, ladies, and bring me that dessert trolley!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

What a brilliant way of looking at life Anne, thank you! I'm having shall we say 'not a good week' so hopefully your wonderful words will get me back on track and damn it I will eat that chocolate! :-)

Anne said...

I hope it improves Jacqui. Enjoy that chocolate!